If you want to learn how to surf or simply improve your skills, surf camps can be a fun and productive option. Many surf hostels and houses in Portugal offer guests a range of packages that include accommodation, meals, surf lessons, equipment, and more.
This can be an excellent and affordable way to learn more about surfing, meet other surfers, and experience the best waves in Portugal.
Every surf camp offers something different, with a range of basic housing to luxury villas; but all surf camps will take your surfing to the next level.
Here we discuss the best destinations for surfing in Portugal, and the best surf camps in each of these locations.
Why is Portugal a good destination for surfing?
Portugal is renowned for its year-round surf conditions, with over 800 km worth of coastline running along the Atlantic Ocean. You will find the most consistent surf conditions between September and April, and conditions ideal for beginners between May and October.
Want to surf your way through Portugal? Discover the 20 Best Beaches for Surfing in Portugal!
Weather and when to surf in Portugal
Portugal is famous for its year-round excellent surf conditions. The best surf conditions are seen in the non-summer months; from late-winter to early-spring waves typically measure 2-4.5m or 6-15ft. The summertime still offers fantastic surf conditions but waves are more gentle, measuring around 1-1.5m or 3-5ft.
Other things you might want to consider are that it rains more in the north, and in winter. While the Algarve experiences less rain and more days of sunshine.
Best destinations for surfing in Portugal
With 800 km of coastline to choose from, there is a lot of choices when it comes to surf beaches in Portugal. The best destinations for surfing are usually considered Lisbon, Peniche, Ericeira, and several spots in the Algarve and north of Portugal.
Best Surf Camps in Portugal
We have selected the best surf camps in each of these regions to help you fulfil your surf goals this year.
Lisbon Surf Camps
- Surf Lisbon House & School – Offers day trips as well as lodging in a hostel or villa. Surf lessons start from 25€ and lodging starts from 35€.
- Lisbon Surf Camp – Offers a range of surf experiences at Carcavelos beach. Courses start from 345€ and include 6-nights accommodation and 5 surf sessions.
Visiting Lisbon? Read all about the country’s capital with our ultimate guide here!
Ericeira Surf Camps
- Lapoint Surf Camp – Offers a range of different packages from Bed & Breakfast to Surf Camp Packages including daily breakfast buffets, surf lessons, yoga classes and access to facilities such as a pool, skate bowl, outdoor gym, volleyball court, massage parlour and much more. Packages start at €300/week (including 7 breakfasts).
- Ericeira Surf House – Offers lodging, breakfast and all surf equipment starting from 169€/week; kids also go free.
- Rapture Surf Camp – Surf camp with locations also in Bali and Nicaragua. Accommodation starts from 45€/night while surf rental is just 10€/day.
- Chill In Ericeira Surfhouse – Offers packages with or without surf equipment. Prices for accommodation, breakfast and surf lessons start from 51€/night or 357€/week.
- Surf Lodge Santa Cruz – located between Ericeira and Peniche, the surf lodge starts from 199€/week and includes accommodation and surf equipment.
Discover more about the seaside town of Ericeira with this guide here!
Northern Portugal Surf Camps
- Oporto Surf Camp (Praia de Esmoriz) – Range of packages with different accommodation options, including breakfast and surf rental. Prices start at 325€/week for 7 nights accommodation, breakfast, and all surf equipment and lessons.
- Onda Pura Surf Camp (Porto) – Surf camps starting from 240€ for 3 nights accommodation and 2 days of surf lessons with photos, transport, and all equipment.
- Luhu Surf Co (Praia da Apulia) – Surf camp includes 7 nights of lodging, 5 surf lessons, and a full day of free surfing. Prices start from 305€.
- Surfivor Surf Camp (Porto) – Offers a B&B and surf week over 7 days, which includes accommodation, breakfast, access to all surf equipment, lessons and other extra activities. Prices start at 270€.
Peniche Surf Camps
- Balili GuestHouse – A variety of surf and yoga packages, with 7-nights accommodation, a healthy breakfast, 5 surf classes, 5 yoga classes and other meals. Prices start from 590€.
- Baleal Surf Camp (Baleal) – Offers a range of fun packages starting from 2 nights and one day of surf for 120€; to 14-nights with 10-days of surf for 1201€. All accommodation and equipment included.
- Maximum Surf Camp – Surf camp includes 7-nights accommodation, 25 hours of lessons, amongst other activities. Prices start at 449€/week.
- Cliff Surfcamp (Santa Cruz) – Offers a surf experience pack, including 7-nights stay, 5-days of surf, 2 yoga sessions, a BBQ, and plenty more fun activities. Prices start at 365€.
Headed to Peniche? Read all about the premier surf town here!
Algarve Surf Camps
- Sagres Natura Surfcamp (Sagres) – Surf hostel offering guests surf lessons and equipment hire. Rooms start at 35€/night.
- Tiny Whale Surf Lodge (Lagos) – Hosts a range of outdoor activity packages. The surf package includes 5-days of surf, picnics, dinners, breakfasts, 2 yoga classes, and plenty more activities. The course starts at 599€ and includes accommodation.
- Sagres Pure Surf Camp (Sagres) – Offers a one-week surf, eat, and sleep package with all surf equipment and lessons included. Prices from 399€.
- Surflife Atlantic Riders (Aljezur) – Offers a range of planned packages or custom ones too. Prices start from 107.50€ and includes one-week of cosy accommodation, buffet breakfast, and access to surf lessons and equipment.
- Arrifana Surf School & Camp (Aljezur) – Programs vary between a full week intensive course and custom courses. Prices start at 340€ for a bed, board, and surf equipment.
- Amado Surf Camp (Sagres) – Surf camps with options to stay in a tent, bungalow or surf house. Prices starting at 255€ and includes surf equipment/lessons.
Surf Camps for Women in Portugal
Is it your first time surfing or perhaps you want to do a girls weekend away? There are a number of female-only surf camps in Portugal to choose from too!
- Chick on Waves (Algarve) – The surf camp also includes yoga sessions, runs for 7 nights and includes all meals and surf equipment. Prices start at 605€.
- WaveSisters (Costa da Caparica, Lisbon) – Surfcamp includes accommodation, surf course and yoga. It runs for 7 nights and prices start from 395€/week.
Cheap Surf Camps in Portugal
Visiting Portugal on a budget but still, want to surf? Don’t worry! Here are a couple of surf camps that won’t break the bank.
- Lufi Surf Camp (Costa da Caparica, Lisbon) – Two-day surf camp in one of Lisbon’s best beaches. The course is 55€ and includes two days of surf lessons, 1-nights accommodation, breakfast and shuttle.
- Quinta d’Anta, Hotel and Surf Lodge (Maiorca) – A two-day surf camp in a rural environment. You will receive one day of surf lessons, followed by complimentary use of the equipment, one-night accommodation and breakfast. Priced at 80€.
- Matosinhos Surf Camp (Porto) – Surf in the north of Portugal over a two-day course, featuring two surf lessons, all equipment, one night’s accommodation, and breakfast. Priced at 100€.
Want more tips for travelling on a budget? Read this guide to the 10 Best Free Things to do in Lisbon!
Let’s go to the beach!
Now that we’ve shown you all the best surf camps in Portugal, there is no excuse not to improve your skills this year. Surfs up!